Palace for the Poor
In 1916, Sri S.G.Srinivasachariar the then District Munsiff made a generous gift of a valuable building site of 15 grounds in main Sullivans garden in Mylapore to the Home. Later, the adjoining piece of 11 grounds was acquired. Thanks to the pioneering efforts of the indefatigable C.Ramasamy Iyengar a massive building was constructed on this land. Swami Brahmananda, the spiritual son of Sri Ramakrishna, laid the foundation stone for this building on 6 May 1917, Buddha Poornima, the birthday of Lord Buddha and he himself inaugurated the new building on Akshya Tritiya day on 10 May 1921.